7.20.2009

WOODCHIP WAR

Monday @ 7:00 am: Parker and I went on a lovely stroll and ended up stopping at the dog park. There weren't any puppies there but someone is nosy (who knew his name would end up being so appropriate), and wanted to do some sniffing. I warily opened the door and assumed my YOU WILL NOT EAT WOOD CHIPS position. To my pleasant surprise, Parker did not go for the chips. He just walked around the entire perimeter, sniffing as he went. He never does that when other dogs are there, but when he's running the show, he apparently likes to survey the entire area and see what he's been missing. It was so nice to actually feel relaxed while at the park.

Fast forward thru me going to work...Parker taking a nap...going to playgroup with the dog walkers and his buddies...followed by a series of naps....

5:45 pm: I came home from work, fed the monster and set out for our walk over to the park. I was feeling positive coming off of our experience there less then twelve hours earlier. There were probably 3 or 4 dogs there, including one who was really excited to play! So, what does Parker do? He walks in there, pees, and then goes to work EATING WOODCHIPS. Oh man was I pissed. So, as our trainer Melissa instructed, I put his leash back on so that I could correct him when he tried to go for it. He literally does not care how many times I give him a verbal correction and/or a firm tug and "NO." Could not care LESS in fact. It is so, so frustrating. I even held onto the leash and walked around with him, and he would STILL go for the chips. There were moments when someone threw a ball for their dog, and Parker would get excited so I'd let him run after them. He would go about halfway....bend down...and start eating again. I. ALMOST. LOST. MY. MIND. We left and went home.

Me = defeated
Parker = stomach full of wood chips, face showing no remorse

No comments: